Being pregnant and having allergies can be absolutely miserable. Many of your go to over the counter and prescription meds are likely not deemed safe to take while pregnant or breastfeeding. Here are a few remedies that may help to alleviate those miserable allergies while you’re rocking your bump.
- The Neti Pot: Though this little devise may freak some of you out, it can work wonders for sinus congestion. You put a saline solution in the pot and tilt your head to one side and rinse out your sinuses with the mixture. The saline solution helps to flush the mucus out of your sinuses through your opposite nostril. As I mentioned it is a little uncomfortable at first and can take a little getting used to but it can be a lifesaver when nasal congestion is making you uncomfortable.
- Steam: Inhaling hot steam is another natural option that can help to relax and open up your nasal passages. Taking a hot steam shower or carefully putting your face over a bowl of hot water while draping a towel over your head & breathing deeply can help to clear out sinuses and open blocked airways.
- Water: Drinking plenty of fluids and staying hydrated helps to keep allergies in check and congestion to a minimum. Though this may not help your already weak pregnant bladder.
- Local Honey: Using local honey in foods, hot teas, or with hot water and lemon can help to relieve allergies. Eating honey produced by bees in your region can help because the bees transfer pollen from flower blossoms to honey, so if you eat a little honey every day you’ll gradually become inoculated against the irritating effects of pollen.
- Spicy Foods: Spicy foods such as chilies, horseradish, wasabi and sriracha can have a temporary decongestant effect and open your sinuses. Of course all these spicy foods might also send you in to labor so eat with caution!